Operation Urkaine Pandemic -- Day 8
Ladies and Gentlemen: Here is the status report as of 6 pm Toronto time on November 9, 2009:
1. The flight has gone, and 4000 lbs of supplies are on their way. A further 3000 lbs will come tomorrow (Wednesday) because AC couldn't take all of it at once.
2. 4000 lbs left today on Air Canada flight 872 and LH flight 3236 out of Frankfurt . A further 3000 lbs of aid is going tomorrow, representing over $160,000 of humanitarian aid supplies.
3. T hese 2 aid shipments consist of 120,000 surgical masks, 200,000 N95 respirator masks, 10,000 disposable isolation gowns, 10,000 surgical gloves, face shields, 3000 bottle hand sanitizers, and 9 pulse oxymeters (4 of them for children under 2 yrs of age ), and also medical supplies and aid from CCCCF
4. Ostap Hawaleshka, former President of CUF, went with the shipments to ensure, along with Canadians on the ground and the Cdn Embassy, that the aid gets to where it is destined.
5. On Thursday and Saturday, further AC flights will take tons of anti-biotics, (valued at over $500,000) provided that the Ukrainian govt can assure us that the drugs can be cleared immediately.
6. Altho initially the flights were originally targetted for Lviv, they were reoriented to Kyiv because aircraft to Lviv could not handle the load, and because the epidemic had moved to cover an add'l 5 oblasts in Central and Eaastern Ukraine
7. Monday's news coming out of Ukraine is that over 1,000,000 Ukrainians are now sick ofthe flu, with 52,600 hospitalized with serious respiratory issues or pneumonia, and 174 have died. All in the last week and 1/2 !!! See our web-site.